One man said, “Discouragement is having faith in the devil.” In some ways that is true. Discouragement means we do not think Jesus has the answers for our life and our many problems. Here are four causes of discouragement:
- Taking your eyes off the Lord Jesus.
- Yielding to self-pity and false pride. Self is always your BIGGEST enemy.
- Expecting God to solve your problems quickly and miraculously. God seldom uses the dramatic explosion or the proverbial earthquake to solve dilemmas. God does not usually work that way.
- Counting what you do not have instead of counting what you do have.
Now here are four Biblical cures for discouragement:
- Get busy! There are always others that need your help and blessing. Helping others will do wonders for you.
- Realize that God is in complete control. His knowledge is perfect, and He never abandons His children.
- Admit that this world is not all about you. God’s will and work is always bigger and more urgent than your personal plans.
- Become aware that you are NOT alone. God gave us the church so we can lean on each other.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. ESV
INSTEAD OF I Kings 19:4b …And he asked that he might die, saying, “It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my fathers.” ESV